13 ways to keep the liver healthy
A healthy liver is really important to your overall health. Here are some simple ways that you can look after yours.
- Drink coffee. If you drink one or two cups of coffee a day then you are less likely to get liver disease. If you already have liver disease, coffee can help to slow it down. Make sure you’re also hydrated and eating a balanced diet to see the benefits.
- Be safe in the bedroom. Safe sex protects you from diseases like Hepatitis C, which can seriously harm your liver.
- Don’t take the wrong supplements. Liver problems are often caused by supplements we take. For example, herbs like comfrey can affect the blood vessels in your liver.
- Check with your doctor before you start taking herbs for your liver Milk Thistle for example, can be used for Hepatitis C but can also do a lot of damage if not taken in the right way.
- Be careful with over the counter medicines. For example, some cold and flu medicines contain acetaminophen. This can hurt your liver if you have more than 4,000mg a day.
- Stay within a healthy weight range. This will be different for everyone but it’s important to do because being overweight can be a risk for fatty liver disease. Regular exercise, good sleep and a balanced diet will all be important to maintain a healthy weight. You can get help from your doctor or a nutrition professional when it comes to weight goals.
- Regular exercise is important. Not just for maintaining weight but also because it improves how insulin works in your body and burns triglycerides (fat in the blood).
- Reduce how much you drink. The more you drink, the harder your liver has to work and this can damage it. If you are drinking too much you could end up with fatty liver, which is an early sign of liver disease.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables. They are full of the nutrients and fibre your body needs and a much better option than a diet full of refined carbohydrates (e.g. white bread).
- Wash your hands regularly. It sounds simple but this will keep your liver healthy by fighting off germs and diseases like Hepatitis A that could affect your liver.
- Stay away from toxins and other poisonous substances. These could be anywhere and could hurt your liver. So, if you are using something like insect spray, for example, wear a mask and open the windows so you don’t inhale it.
- Get vaccinated against Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B. Remember the risks with needles. Hepatitis C can be spread via needles – get a blood test if you are worried.
- Check your liver is healthy. A history of liver disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and drinking heavily are good reasons to get it checked.
Keeping your liver healthy is simple – these tips are a great place to start. Download the MyLife365.Me app today to start tracking your liver health and get a Fibroscan